Here are my fabrics for the christmas swap at Boloheads!
Posts tagged ‘swap’
(Every time I look at this print I find something else even cuter than the last time. I just saw the little Thriller MJ! I’ve got to order more of this for myself, for a bag or something. In canvas I think.)
I got in on another rainbow swap with Robyn over at Bolohead… this time it’s a fall color swap and I got BURGUNDY. Standing in the middle of the quilting cottons section in the fabric store I googled BURGUNDY and came up withthis description on Wikipedia:
Burgundy (sometimes wine red or simply wine) is a shade of purplish red associated with the Burgundy wine of the same name, which in turn is named after the Burgundy region of France. The color burgundy is similar to other shades of dark red such as maroon. When referring to the color, “burgundy” is usually not capitalized
Hmm… so it’s a purpley redish sort of browny maroon-ness. This is what I came up with.
Please excuse them looking quite… ummm… pink.
I also whipped up a sort of mug rug for Robyn, by which to remember me and my colors. Here’s the front:
I know some of them are too purple, some are too red, and some are just too darn pink, but I doubt that the other burgundy-er will get fabrics that are exactly BURGUNDY… whatever that might be.
Since the Canadian postal service finally decided to go back to work (read: were legislated to get delivering!) I figured it was finally time to get this project out the door!
Here is a shot of each of the potholders while I was layering them. I’ve had a lot of trouble with layers slipping in the past, so I over-pin. I pinned two lines: around the edge of the embroidery and around the edge of the batting. I used Insul-Bright which I’ve had kicking around for a while for the center layers. Then I measured 2 inches around the embroidery (awesome that it was so square, it made the measuring of the entire piece very easy to square) and machine basted along that line all the way around. I pulled out the pins and cut my final edge about an 1/8th of an inch away from the stitching.
Finally, I bound the edge with bais taping in contrasting colors and stuck in a loop for hanging. YAY! All done!
I sure hopes she likes them! I’ll be throwing in a few “Calgary” mementos and then it will be on its way to Atlanta!
I’ve been working away at the potholder swap for my sewing buddy. I’m really good at envisioning beautifully embroidered finished pieces, but the amount of work and sheer time that goes into stitching them out just never gets captured in my daydream. I basically finished one of these per night for two nights (today is May 26th), a night being from about 19:00 to about 21:30. You have to keep a close eye on the machine the entire time, watching for little tangles and loops in the thread, watching from pulling or fraying at the needle, watching for huge tangles at the fabric. But here they are, all that’s left on them are to actually cut out the other pieces of fabric and stitch them all together!
I just love the way they turned out! The pink on black and the black on pink are so beautiful! I really hope my buddy likes it as much as I do!
So about a week or so ago I signed up for a rainbow charm swap at Bolohead. Each person in the swap is assigned a color and is to obtain a quarter yard (or fat quarter) of fabric that is predominately that color. In the end you get back a rainbow of little squares. I got purple… I’ve purchased the fabric but I have yet to cut them up.
The flash seems to have washed out some of the colors… they’re all really very purple!
I can’t wait to see the other colors!