When I saw Tula Pink’s new Prince Charming fabric in LAMINATES, I almost lost my cookies. I was so excited, I love frog designs and I thought it was perfect for my bathroom. We’re expecting to renovate the bathroom soon, and I’ve finally found my color palette!
So anyways, here’s what I decided to do: the Prince Charming shower curtain!
This was my first time actually working with laminates… I’ve looked at them and drooled over them a whole lot, I’ve even purchased them before, but this time I actually did it. I dug up some masking tape and covered all of the fabric-facing metal on my machine.
And away I went. The print faces along the bolt, so as you unroll it the heads are at the raw edge and the froggy-bums are at the roll. So I cut about 6 feet of the darker print off of its roll, cut it in half, then cut about 6 feet of the lighter print off of its roll and cut it in half too. Then I just pieced 3 of the pieces together and had one left over (I think it’s going to be destined for coordinating cosmetics bags, as is the yard or so left on each of the rolls!)
To stitch the pieces together, look at the below diagram that is a picture of two pieces of fabric as viewed in a cross-section from the bottom (or top) of the curtain. The edges were left raw, but a double line of stitching centered in the middle of the overlap seemed to do the trick.
- laminates are so simple to work with because you don’t NEED to hem them. I left every single edge raw and it’s beautiful.
- the grommets I used were from Walmart and came with little templates and worked flawlessly.
- laminates LOVE to be shower curtains because they’re beautiful like quilting cotton, but waterproof so no lining!!!
- I’ve got a shower curtain rod that bows out so I made my curtain a little wider AND a little longer than a normal curtain.
What didn’t go so well:
- despite my use of masking tape on my presser foot, the top still pulled more than the bottom, you can probably see it in the picture. Granted, I didn’t use my IDT, I’ll probably try that next time. I didn’t pin it because I didn’t want to make holes in the laminate, so that might have helped as well.