Whipstitch has this wonderful thing every year called the “Sewing Buddy Project” where you’re (seemingly randomly) matched with another participant and they’re your “buddy” for the year. Somehow I’ve gotten matched with a buddy from Georgia for 2 years in a row!
This year there are going to be challenges for buddies to complete jointly – the first one ended today.***ETA: it looks like it’s been extended until Monday!*** The challenge #1 was to create 2 projects, one a “boy” version and one a “girl” version. Since children’s clothing is pretty much out the window for me, we had to come up with something else that could be portrayed in a “girl” and “boy” fashion, but that was still obviously connected.
We decided on a self-contained picnic blanket in the greenhouse apple chevron print. I did mine in flannel and laminate – she chose to go with cotton instead of flannel for the heat factor! I love that these designers are producing on so many different types of fabric, it really allows you to be some much more flexible with what you can create!
So anyways (I finished it at close to midnight last night so I couldn’t take it outside for pics, but it’s been raining here anyways.) I chose 4 solid flannels to co-ordinate with my apples. She provided the pattern (which I managed to screw up anyways) and I came up with a block scheme for the pocket.. well, 2 schemes. I couldn’t decide on just one.
I decided that since both sides of the pocket show, that I’d do one on the inside and one on the outside.
What do you think? Does it look like the sketches at all? You might notice that the middle row is on top and the top row is in the middle. And please don’t look at the puckers where the designer flannel didn’t stretch and the cheaper solids did stretch. Just gaze in awe that in the first try at assembling it, it all ended up fitting inside the pocket!
But what they say about quilting is true… you really have to love the fabric that you’re working with. And at the end of it I still love all of the fabrics!
I received a package in the mail from my sewing buddy!!! Take a look!
I just LOVE the fabrics she brought back with her! Totally cute and totally gorgeous! AND a magnet for my fridge collection! Thanks Laura!
Since the Canadian postal service finally decided to go back to work (read: were legislated to get delivering!) I figured it was finally time to get this project out the door!
Here is a shot of each of the potholders while I was layering them. I’ve had a lot of trouble with layers slipping in the past, so I over-pin. I pinned two lines: around the edge of the embroidery and around the edge of the batting. I used Insul-Bright which I’ve had kicking around for a while for the center layers. Then I measured 2 inches around the embroidery (awesome that it was so square, it made the measuring of the entire piece very easy to square) and machine basted along that line all the way around. I pulled out the pins and cut my final edge about an 1/8th of an inch away from the stitching.
Finally, I bound the edge with bais taping in contrasting colors and stuck in a loop for hanging. YAY! All done!
I sure hopes she likes them! I’ll be throwing in a few “Calgary” mementos and then it will be on its way to Atlanta!
I’ve been working away at the potholder swap for my sewing buddy. I’m really good at envisioning beautifully embroidered finished pieces, but the amount of work and sheer time that goes into stitching them out just never gets captured in my daydream. I basically finished one of these per night for two nights (today is May 26th), a night being from about 19:00 to about 21:30. You have to keep a close eye on the machine the entire time, watching for little tangles and loops in the thread, watching from pulling or fraying at the needle, watching for huge tangles at the fabric. But here they are, all that’s left on them are to actually cut out the other pieces of fabric and stitch them all together!
I just love the way they turned out! The pink on black and the black on pink are so beautiful! I really hope my buddy likes it as much as I do!
I’ve decided again to use the WordPress “schedule” functionality again to my advantage. I’ve started working on a swap that I agreed to with my sewing buddy, and I really want to talk about it, but I don’t want her to see it, so I’ve written it (Wednesday May 18) and scheduled it for sometime next year, and then when she receives it, BAM, I’ll reschedule them to be released right away!!! Ingenious, I know. 😀
So we decided on a pot holder swap. I really don’t know anything about her, so I decided to just do something that I would like… that’s what my daddy taught me about giving gifts.
She’s asked me about my embroidery machine and said she wished that she had one, so I decided that whatever I did had to have embroidery. I settled on some mola designs from emblibrary.com, which I also managed to get a smoking deal on!
Here are the fabrics I’ve picked: black, fuchsia, and black/pink/fuchsia flames. I also dug out some pink, fuchsia, and black bias taping, I’m not sure which I’m going to use where. I’m thinking of making two, each with flames on one side, the other side pink on one and black on the other. The designs would be pink on the black one, and black on the pink one, but I’m still trying to decide if I want them monochromatic, or to use several shades. If I’d known which fabric I was going to use (I just started digging through my pile last night), I probably would have picked the flamingo mola, I think that would have been sooo cute in pink and black! As it was, I picked the turtle and the lizard.