nobis opus splendeat: we need more glitter

Posts tagged ‘insulbright’

the christmas ninja part 1: the swap

This is the first of what is likely to be many ninja-ed gifts this year. We had a christmas party at work with an optional under-10-dollar gift exchange. I’m not really sure how much these cost to make, but if you count the fact that I charge out my time at a min of 50$ an hour, I think they’re worth about 200-300$ 😀  To be honest, I first decided to make them round because I wanted to use bias taping and have not yet mastered the art of corners. :S

I’m not sure why my phone camera is being so difficult… I might have to start using a real camera…

Do you recognize the fabric? When I bought fabric for the Christmas swap I think I bought a 1/2m of each so that I’d have some extra for christmas-y type things, that this is definitely one of those things.

These babies are insulated with insulbright and  triple-duty. First they have the obvious use being a place on which to set a hot pot. Second, they have nice little pockets so when you want to grab a pot, the tops and bottoms of your fingers are covered. Guess who always burns themselves by touching the outside of the stove?

Third, they can store a covered dish either for transport or just for keeping warm. In three different sizes, you could use one for each purpose!

my sewing buddy part 3

Since the Canadian postal service finally decided to go back to work (read: were legislated to get delivering!) I figured it was finally time to get this project out the door!

Here is a shot of each of the potholders while I was layering them. I’ve had a lot of trouble with layers slipping in the past, so I over-pin. I pinned two lines: around the edge of the embroidery and around the edge of the batting. I used Insul-Bright which I’ve had kicking around for a while for the center layers. Then I measured 2 inches around the embroidery (awesome that it was so square, it made the measuring of the entire piece very easy to square) and machine basted along that line all the way around. I pulled out the pins and cut my final edge about an 1/8th of an inch away from the stitching.

Finally, I bound the edge with bais taping in contrasting colors and stuck in a loop for hanging. YAY! All done!


I sure hopes she likes them! I’ll be throwing in a few “Calgary” mementos and then it will be on its way to Atlanta!

Tag Cloud

%d bloggers like this: