So I went home and stared at my hat. I love the fabric, I love the concept, I love everything about it except the height. So I grabbed the biggest section in the middle and started pinning. I pinned about 2 inches I think (1 inch on each side) and then tried it on… my husband made a face – too small. I pulled it back to about an inch (1/2 inch on each side) and tried it on… much better! I went to look in the mirror and it looked like I thought it was originally going to look!
It kinda feels like double-vision when you’re looking at it… if I were to do this again with such a distinctly repeating print I would have shifted the bands down the fabric so the viewfinders weren’t stacked on top of each other like they are now. But nonetheless I really like the hat now! 😀